Tuesday 24 March 2009

Spelling

It occurred to me an issue regarding phonetically based spelling.  As I explained in Sounds Crazy (November), the characters represent sounds and therefore words can be spelt more easily without rule exceptions.  However, as I have witnessed, even linguistically skilled teachers can sometimes read their own language slowly, sounding words out before taking onboard any meaning.  This situation seems to be born out from a lack of, or need for sight vocabulary.  Whereas, we learn the shape of words from an early age, particularly those words that forget the rules; they have no need for this.  It reminded me of a sheet brought into my class.

 

Teh bsaic ieda si taht teh bairn cna siltl raed wrdos taht aer selpt wnrog if lal teh lrtetes aer terhe adn ptuacrlailry fi teh frist adn lsat ltertes aer ni teh croerct pacle.



Windows Live Hotmail just got better. Find out more!

No comments: